An impressive list: DCCW recognizes 45 volunteers from 28 parishes in diocese
Editor’s Note: Following is the list of the 45 volunteers honored by the Peoria Diocesan Council of Catholic Women at its annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon on April 14. For a story on the luncheon, click here.
- Sue Ann Wells, Sacred Heart: President of the Altar and Rosary Society and “a very caring, dependable, and dedicated member” of Sacred Heart Parish. “Her commitment to our church is not only appreciated, but most commendable.”
- Verna May, St. Anthony: Publicist for the Altar and Rosary Society and a member of its hospitality, spiritual, and ways and means committees, originated “Dinner at Grandma’s” fundraiser, made raffle quilts, involved in Cursillo, member of the centennial committee.
- Janice Wyffels, St. Anthony: Secretary of the Altar and Rosary Society, served on the parish council, is a lector and chairs the landscaping committee and 2016 parish spring raffle, manages the parish email prayer chain, initiated various parish fundraisers.
- Sandra Gasparovich, St. Anthony: Chairperson of the St. Anthony’s Women’s Group, coordinator of parish landscape events and the Weed and Water Stewards program, active in the Lenten “Sack-o-Food” effort for St. Anthony’s donations to the Bartonville Community Food Pantry and the “Change for Change” collection for Sophia’s Kitchen, volunteers for the annual dinner-auction to benefit the Sisters of St. Francis of the Immaculate Conception (Heading Avenue Franciscans).
- Bette Keyser, Historic St. Patrick: Assisted in producing fliers for Altar and Rosary Society events and sold raffle tickets to support them, money counter for several years, helped in weekly church cleaning.
- Marilyn Morrow, Historic St. Patrick: Treasurer and former secretary of the Altar and Rosary Society, money counter for the last two years, sings in the choir, helped in weekly church cleaning.
- Cathy Naleway, Historic St. Patrick: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society for 25 years, religious education teacher for 15 years, extraordinary minister of holy Communion.
- Carol Johnson, St. John the Baptist: President of the Altar and Rosary Society, served as member of the choir and religious education teacher.
- Peggy Johnson, St. John the Baptist: Parish bookkeeper, made baby quilts for the Stark County Pregnancy Resource Center and “helps anyone she can.”
- Marian Mitchell, St. Patrick: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society for 45 years and former president. She serves as an extraordinary minister of holy Communion to those who are homebound and often brings a small homemade gift when she visits, calls the Resurrection Choir for funerals and sings in the choir, and calls volunteers for food donations for funeral lunches and sets up the hall for these meals. She also sets up and works at clothing drives and delivers clothing to the shelters for those in need.
- Virginia Fell, Corpus Christi: Extraordinary minister of holy Communion, co-chairs events at church, and helps wherever needed. “A true blessing to our church.”
- Marilyn Thompson, Corpus Christi: Officer in the Legion of Mary, visits shut-ins and leads the rosary at the nursing home, and extraordinary minister of holy Communion, among other things. Also “a true blessing to our church.”
- Jody Herr, Immaculate Heart of Mary: Extraordinary minister of holy Communion at local nursing homes and assists the pastor with Mass there, money counter, chairs the landscape committee, serves on the funeral luncheon committee, renovated the room for and started the library at the adoration chapel, bakes for the Ladies of Mary’s cake program at Knox College.
- Laura Junk, Immaculate Heart of Mary: Director of religious education and high school youth group, teaches a religious education class, serves as extraordinary minister of holy Communion.
- Kathy McClimon, St. Malachy: Sings and plays the flute for the parish Celebration Choir and Geneseo Community Choir, as well as funerals. She is a member of the Social Justice committee and JustFaith, helps with Back Pack Blessings program, is a coordinator for St. Malachy’s sister parish in Tennessee, a lector and member of the welcoming committee. She visits nursing homes, is involved in Cursillo, and a past member of the parish council, Parents’ Club and Altar and Rosary Society.
- Jolene Thompson, St. Malachy: Originated and continues to work with the rosary makers, prays the rosary in the hospital’s extended care unit, and organizes the rosary rally. Member of the Altar and Rosary Society and respect life committee, lector for morning Masses and Stations of the Cross, works on Divine Mercy Sunday, serves in vocation ministry, helps with the youth group, gathers religious items to mail worldwide.
- Nancy Loebach, Sacred Heart: Altar and Rosary Society vice president, extraordinary minister of holy Communion, lector, altar server, member of the Light of the World retreat team and finance committee, collection counter.
- Katie Wujek, Sacred Heart: Altar and Rosary Society member and officer, extraordinary minister of holy Communion, Light of the World retreat secretary and aide, and helps with the Annual Diocesan Appeal at Sacred Heart. She also serves on teams and as a board member for Peterstown TEC, as well as Engaged Encounter, and co-chaired the national TEC convention in 1996.
- LeeAnn Weddell, St. Patrick: Longtime extraordinary minister of holy Communion, sews altar linens, taught religious education, served in many different leadership roles for the Altar and Rosary Society, orders supplies for the kitchen and parish events, as well as flowers for Easter and Christmas. She helps to organize, set up and serve funeral dinners, and sets up the bride’s room for weddings.
- Marci Carlson, Saint John Paul II: A lifetime member of the parish, she is a lector, extraordinary minister of holy Communion, greeter, and collection counter, helps with funeral luncheons, and is active in the Altar and Rosary Society, where she was an officer for several years, and the Catholic Book Club.
- Cecelia Majeres, St. Paul: Former co-president and vice president of the Women’s Guild, calling committee, co-chair of the semi-annual rummage sale for 15 years, organized children’s games for the parish bazaar for 13 years, did publicity for the annual cookie walk for eight years, serves on the Seder supper committee, and has been an extraordinary minister of holy Communion since 1987.
- Jan Theis, St. Paul: Former co-president, president and treasurer of the Women’s Guild, co-chaired the kitchen remodeling project, organized the country store at the parish bazaar through 1994, serves on the Seder supper committee, helps to decorate the church, and is an usher. She chaired landscaping at St. Francis of Assisi Newman Center at Western Illinois University last summer.
- Gloria Harper, St. Mary: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society, sings with the parish choir and Resurrection Choir, is a money counter, Heavenly Duster, and playground and cafeteria monitor, and has participated in Bible studies.
- Anita Wolfe, St. Mary: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society, money counter and has posted envelope donations.
- Sharon Kauffman, St. Joseph: Volunteer for the parish’s respect life committee, St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry and Council of Catholic Women, helped with the bake sale and respect life activities, such as the baby bottle campaign.
- Bridgett McDonald, St. Joseph: Secretary/treasurer of the Council of Catholic Women and secretary of the St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry, sings in the church choir and Resurrection Choir.
- Pat Driscoll, St. Ann: Assists with funeral dinners, bake sales and the garage sale, served as room mother for St. John School and was secretary at South Side Catholic, organized fundraisers for the parish nurse program for 10 years, helped with Pennies for Life.
- Rose Goodwin, St. Ann: Helps with funeral dinners, the garage sale and bake sales, cleans the church, worked in the kitchen at St. Boniface School, served as mentor for children who needed help.
- Linda Lee Hunter, St. Jude: Served on the formation team and follow-up committee for Christ Renews His Parish, as well as several CRHP teams. She also has been a catechist, extraordinary minister of holy Communion, and co-facilitator for JustFaith, and coordinated RCIA for 20 years, participated in the Growing in Faith Together study, and has been involved in Cursillo and TEC.
- Judy Zika, St. Jude: Active in the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, involved at all levels of Cursillo for almost 40 years, developed and managed the antepartum activity therapy program at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, OSF Hospice volunteer.
- Katie Wille, St. Mary: Active in the Women’s Guild and former treasurer, serves as extraordinary minister of holy Communion, coordinates Communion to homebound parishioners and the Mass for parish graduates each May, member of the building committee, volunteer at St. Mary School, where she taught for more than 30 years.
- Dennis Thompson, St. Louis: Retired school administrator who used his construction business to enlarge the kitchen in the parish hall, including taking down a block wall, tearing up and replacing a ceramic tile floor, putting up a new ceiling and cabinets and countless other jobs. He also donated his time to laying out and constructing a new parish greenhouse.
- Betty Covemaker, Our Lady of Guadalupe: “Energizer Bunny” who is the first to arrive and the last to leave whenever a pair of hands is needed. She volunteers for fish frys, the men’s breakfast, fall harvest dinner, and funeral luncheons, and helps clean the church.
- Pam Perez, Our Lady of Guadalupe: Secretary at Our Lady of Guadalupe, coordinator of the St. Clare Adoration Chapel for six years, treasurer of the Legion of Mary at the parish and president of the Legion of Mary for the Diocese of Peoria, co-coordinator for the parish feast day celebration, and religious education teacher for 15 years.
- Leona Sisul, Our Lady of Guadalupe: Active member of the Legion of Mary, volunteers at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Academy, and is “a powerful prayer warrior” who spends time throughout the week in the St. Clare Adoration Chapel.
- Connie Barton, St. Michael the Archangel: Serves as head sacristan and extraordinary minister of holy Communion, does home visits.
- Michelle Henne, St. Michael the Archangel: Member of St. Vincent de Paul Society and the Altar and Rosary Society, provides rides, does home visits and goes to nursing homes, leads the rosary, as well as WATCH retreats and the Light of Christ prayer group, and helps with parish functions.
- Joyce Redfern, St. Michael the Archangel: Instrumental in organizing and first director of Guardian Angel Outreach, member of the Altar and Rosary Society, extraordinary minister of holy Communion, involved in the WATCH program, Cursillo, the Commission on Education, and Parents Club.
- Marilyn Richard, St. Michael the Archangel: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society and adult choir for more than 50 years, lector, involved in a variety of parish functions, belongs to the Knights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary, assists with WATCH, RCIA, and the school library.
- Nicolina Alfano, St. John the Evangelist: Chairperson and coordinator for the annual St. Joseph’s Table.
- Arlene Martell, St. Mary: Volunteers at Guardian Angel Outreach in Streator, organizes and participates in WATCH, sings in the parish choir, helps with funeral dinners.
- Dawn Rippel, St. Mary: Director of religious education for St. Mary in Wenona, St. Ann in Toluca, and St. John in Lostant, and coordinates the cleaning of St. Mary Church with help from the confirmation students. She is a lector and “always ready to lend a helping hand at all our Altar and Rosary functions.”
- Cindy Mattingly, St. Mary: Lifelong member of the parish, secretary for the past 17 years, lector for funeral Masses, volunteers for Labor Day weekend festivities, St. Mary’s Foundation, Altar and Rosary Society, and winter co-parish dinners with St. Isaac Jogues in Georgetown.
- Ann Rach, St. Mary: Member of the Altar and Rosary Society, launders and finishes the altar linens and assists with mending, hemming, and other sewing needs, made tabernacle curtains to coincide with the church seasons, contributes to the annual church bazaar, attends church dinners and is supportive of parish functions.
- Lorraine Anderson, St. John the Apostle: Member of the Altar and Rosary at St. John for almost 55 years. She volunteers as a money counter and served as a religious education teacher.