Historic St. Patrick Parish, Bloomington, celebrating 125 years with events June 30
BLOOMINGTON — Members of Historic St. Patrick Church, 1209 W. Locust, will celebrate 125 years of that history and faith next Saturday, June 30. Bishop Daniel R. Jenky, CSC, will join them and preside at the 5 p.m. Mass.
A reception, including dinner catered by Biaggi’s, will follow in the parish hall. No reservations are required to attend.
In addition to food and fellowship, the parish hall will be filled with history in the form of a timeline and historical display.
Established by Bishop John Lancaster Spalding to serve the faithful on Bloomington’s west side, St. Patrick was organized on June 13, 1892, with Father John J. Burke as the founding pastor. Plans were made immediately to build the church, which was completed within the year and dedicated by Bishop Spalding on June 11, 1893.
The first parish school, a two-story brick structure, was built in 1901 and opened to 110 pupils that September. A convent to house the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, was erected in 1902. The school would close in 1969, but more than 100 Sinsinawa Dominicans staffed it during its operation.
St. Patrick had been carved from Holy Trinity Parish and the two parishes were linked again in 2013. The current pastor of both faith communities, Father Jeffrey Stirniman, also has history with St. Patrick, having served as its pastor from 1999 to 2003. He returned as spiritual leader in 2017.