Catholic Charities food pantry opens at Peoria warehouse site
CAPTION: Joining Sister Ana Pia Cordua, SCTJM, executive director of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Peoria, at opening ceremonies for a new Catholic Charities Food Pantry at its warehouse at 1825 N.E. Adams St. in Peoria on May 19 were, from left: Isidore Rusheinski, volunteer; Iris Hildreth, community programs coordinator; Deacon Bob Sondag, diocesan vice chancellor; Angela Wissel, OSF faith community nurse; Susi Smith, manager of OSF faith community nursing; Sara Piercy, volunteer; Cecilia Sone, associate director of Catholic Charities; and Debra Kemp, faith community nurse. The Catholic Post/Tom Dermody
With the cutting of a ribbon, balloons at every turn, and most importantly, bags filled with food items for those in need, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Peoria added a food pantry to furniture and baby item outreaches already operating at its warehouse, 1825 N.E. Adams St. in Peoria.
The pantry, which is open on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., replaces one that had been operated out of the former St. Peter’s Church site. At its closing earlier this month, the St. Peter’s Pantry was serving 35 families. The number served is expected to rise at the warehouse site, which affords access to the St. Gianna Baby Pantry and St. Joseph Furniture Bank.
Joining Catholic Charities staff and volunteers at opening ceremonies on May 19 were three nurses from the Faith Community Nursing Program at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center. Nurses from the program will be present throughout the day on Tuesdays to offer health screenings, education, referrals, and “intentional care of the spirit” such as prayer support, according to Susi Smith, manager.
The baby pantry — offering diapers, formula and other baby needs — is open Tuesdays by appointment. Phone (309) 636-8012 to reserve a time or for more information. The furniture bank is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and accepts referrals from the St. Vincent de Paul helpline