Joy, gratitude as Epiphany, Normal, is rededicated

Joy, gratitude as Epiphany, Normal, is rededicated

Editor’s note: For photos from this event, click on either the “Post Photos” camera icon or Facebook links at left.

NORMAL — With trumpet blasts, prayerful rituals, and an audible sigh of relief from the pastor, Epiphany Parish capped five years of planning and building with the rededication of its renovated church and expanded parish facility on Sept. 19.

Bishop Daniel R. Jenky, CSC, was principal celebrant of the 2 p.m. Mass and presided at ceremonies including the anointing of the church’s new altar.

The ceremonies were a joyful conclusion to an $8 million project that not only beautifully renovated the sanctuary and church interior but added separate wings to Epiphany Church giving the parish a new social hall, child care center, adoration chapel, and office and meeting space.

Bishop Jenky called the renovation, which incorporated several examples of new religious art, “a sign that the message of Jesus Christ is alive in the hearts of parishioners.” He praised the sacrifices that led to its success and the “vision and leadership” of Msgr. Eric Powell, pastor.

In remarks at the end of Mass, Msgr. Powell thanked the long range planning and construction committees for their efforts. He noted that many responsible for the success of the project — including architects, builders, and artists — were present in the assembly, and thanked all for “lending their skills and their hearts to our dedication today.”

Msgr. Powell began his comments at the end of the 90-minute liturgy with an exaggerated sigh of relief. The understanding assembly responded with applause.

“It’s such a delight to be a member of the parish and watch all this happen,” said Karen Bordewick at a reception following the Mass in the new parish hall.

Diana Barthe agreed, noting that she finds the art — especially in the new adoration chapel — “breathtaking.”

The church reopened July 10 after a year of construction during which Masses were celebrated in the school’s small gym and Lyceum. More details of the renovation and the “Honoring the Past, Opening New Doors” campaign that financed it appeared in the July 25 issue of The Catholic Post. The parish has also printed booklets illustrating and explaining the various aspects of the project and the new art.

SPALDING PASTORAL CENTER | 419 NE MADISON AVENUE | PEORIA, IL 61603 | PHONE (309) 671-1550 | FAX (309) 671-1595
© Copyright 2020 - The Catholic Post || 2 || All Rights Reserved || Design by TBare.com