New Orleans Archdiocese ‘buries’ Katrina, looks to move on

New Orleans Archdiocese ‘buries’ Katrina, looks to move on

NEW ORLEANS (CNS) — Citing the abundant blessings that have followed the suffering and deaths caused by Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans Archbishop Gregory M. Aymond marked the fifth anniversary of the nation’s worst natural disaster Aug. 29 with a Mass and an interfaith prayer service at St. Louis Cathedral.

“Five years later, we remember the unwelcome visit of Katrina, but we have put her to rest,” Archbishop Aymond said in his homily at the Mass, which was celebrated in honor of Our Lady of Prompt Succor, the patroness of the archdiocese.

“Wherever she is, it doesn’t matter to us because she no longer has power over us. We must move on with the power of Christ.”

A day earlier, Archbishop Aymond had been a principal speaker at a Katrina “funeral,” celebrated at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church in Chalmette. He remarked that when the Katrina casket, filled with personal prayers and notes from individuals, was closed, people spontaneously broke out in cheers and applause.

“It was a very moving experience,” Archbishop Aymond said. “The people had the opportunity to put notes about Katrina (into the casket), which I’m sure said things like, ‘Never come back,’ but they also included some of their own hurts and memories and emotions and wounds.”

He added: “This weekend, we bury Katrina. She has caused many deaths. We will not forget her, but she is buried.”

SPALDING PASTORAL CENTER | 419 NE MADISON AVENUE | PEORIA, IL 61603 | PHONE (309) 671-1550 | FAX (309) 671-1595
© Copyright 2020 - The Catholic Post || 2 || All Rights Reserved || Design by TBare.com