Earlville parish to celebrate 150th anniversary July 19
EARLVILLE — Members of St. Teresa of Avila Parish will begin a celebration of the faith community’s 150th anniversary on Saturday, July 19, with a One-Day-Fun-Day event.
It starts at 11 a.m. with games for people of all ages. Other activities include face painting and a silent auction.
Msgr. Raymond Boyle, pastor of St. Patrick’s Parish in Seneca and vicar of the Ottawa vicariate, will be present at the 5 p.m. Mass and take part in the rededication of the original church doors at 4:45 p.m. A pork chop dinner follows the liturgy.
Catholics in the Earlville area were attended by priests from Ottawa until 1858, when Father P.J. Murphy was appointed pastor of Holy Cross Parish in Mendota and its mission church in Earlville. Built in 1878, St. Teresa’s Church was damaged by a severe storm in 1892 and rebuilt in 1903.
The following year, St. Teresa of Avila became a parish in its own right and Father Patrick Sheridan was named the first resident pastor. He was followed by the parish’s longest-serving pastor, Father Henry J. Hahn, who led the community from 1923 to 1964.
St. Teresa’s also has been served by Father Joseph Wolvers, Father John Schumacher, Father Dale Maloy, Father Lawrence Morrissey, Father M. Duane LeClercq, Father Don Henderson, Father Richard Brunskill, Father Michael Driscoll, Father Robert Spilman, Father James Kruse, and Father Chris G. Haake, who has been administrator since 2006.
Among the vocations that came from St. Teresa’s Parish are Archbishop John J. Myers of Newark, N.J., and Father Joseph Corel, vocation director for the Diocese of Jefferson City, Mo.